I love my job as a mom, but I won’t lie, it can sure be tough at times. There are many days were I feel like a complete failure or can’t believe that I skipped a shower yet again! Most the time my accessories are things like spit up, snot, food particles, and who knows what else.
My days can seem like a blur of dishes, laundry, and tantrums and I just want to go and hide in my pantry and eat a Hershey’s all alone. Of course I have good and even great days but sometimes when you are in the trenches of those bad days it’s hard to see the light and it’s really easy to get down on yourself.
But beating yourself up isn’t going to help anybody! Just like we need to build up our children and husbands we also need to build up ourselves! Here are 5 things you should tell yourself everyday:
1. I AM DOING A GOOD JOB: Some days feel like a complete failure, but in the eyes of your kids I promise they think the world of you. The days where my house is the messiest, are usually the days we have been out and about all day, or did painting projects, or built forts. We were too busy making memories to spend our day cleaning!
Then there are days when my kids had pb&j’s for all three meals! I felt like a total dead beat and lazy mom, but guess what…….My kids thought it was awesome!
At the end of the day, your kids are alive, mostly happy, and they know they are loved. Pat yourself on the back, say you did a good job, and believe yourself.
2. I AM BEAUTIFUL: I might spend a whole day in my workout clothes, my hair might be in a messy bun, dinner might be smeared on my pants, but that doesn’t change the fact that I am beautiful.
I think it’s really, really important that we tell ourselves that we are beautiful. Our bodies went through a huge change to bring these little babies here, and it can be hard to accept those changes. But those changes created something beautiful and for that we should be grateful. Being a mom is a beautiful and selfless thing. We might not be in full make up or dressed to the nines everyday but you need to know that you are beautiful.
3. I AM LOVED: After a long day it can be easy to feel overworked and undervalued. We’ve ran errands, cooked meals, taken care of the housework, and put everyone’s needs before our own. Sometimes our little children can’t express their thanks, or our husbands just assume we know, but it’s so very important that you know that you are loved and appreciated.
You are not under valued. My guess is that your family would probably fall into a state of complete chaos without you. You are also loved so much by a Heavenly Father. He wants for you to be happy and to know of your worth. You are so special and you are loved very much. So at the end of the day, think of all you do and know that you are loved.
4. I AM STRONG: Darn right you are! You were strong enough to keep it together at the store when your 3 year old was throwing the world’s worst tantrum. You were strong when you were bringing those children into the world. You were strong when you were struggling with infertility. You are strong enough to put other’s needs before your own. You are strong enough to keep Satan and ugly influences out of your home. You are strong because you ran that mile (or 2 or 10).
It’s important to recognize the strength you have inside yourself. You are a force and you need to know it.
5. I AM AWESOME: Please tell yourself this every.single.day.
You are awesome. You have special talents that no one has but you. Maybe you killed it in your kick boxing class this morning. Maybe dinner was in the crock pot by noon and you baked cookies for all your neighbors. Maybe you totally rocked that parent teacher conference. Or maybe you barely survived today and you just want to crash in your jammies and watch the Bachelor. Guess what…..still awesome.
You’re a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, and I think you are pretty dang cool. I seriously wish I could give you all a great big hug and tell you that I think you are doing a fabulous job. Since I can’t do that right now, I’m counting on you to be kind to yourselves, lift yourselves up, and go ahead and give yourself a big hug!